BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Purpose

Esther 4:14

White buildings burst from my spot
on the porch, covering the city in red
roofs and winter leaves. Peace surrounded
that place, where the Bible and hot tea

met like two long-lost siblings to convince
me to believe. Does everything happen for
a reason? If we hadn't been caught in this
fin-de-cycle of broken promises between the

faith of science and the matters of man, the
assurances of people who are only guessing,
maybe I could be convinced of certainty.
But I can not be. Thread is woven and becomes

unravelled, cycles of time turn in a widening
gyre. Hearing becomes hard. The written words
age over time, voices of the past become distant,
and still we wonder if there is a purpose to

all this madness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh, this is my favorite one that you've written, except maybe the one in the Phoenix. Love all the allusions to other lit.

Alicia147 said...

mmm yes. I really like this.

Nice job addressing a very difficult issue. I can definitely see how you've applied what you were talking about in your most recent blog to this poem.

I love the last stanza & line.