BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Joy By Surprise

Hello Readers,

  This post comes in response to a conversation that I had with one of my dear relations only a couple of minutes ago.  It seems that in my family we do not know the joy, nor the technique, of surprise.  Now, in my limited experience, surprise can be one of the best experiences, whether it is a flower placed outside the door of a friend, a loved one taking the time to write you a little note, or a huge care-package that is filled with tons of goodies.  Many of my close friends have received one of these packages, and I have also but from someone I wouldn't expect.  This person was someone that I had once babysitted for and who I knew vaguely from youth group.  It was a great joy to open up the box and discover many foil-wrapped baked goods, along with a little note explaining how she hoped that I would get through this semester.  Not only did the snacks satisfy my appetite and get me away from the horrible DC food for a while, but this little gesture of love and kindness filled my day with joy.

  What I'm really trying to get at is that there is no way that a college student can express the joy that he/she gets from receiving a little unexpected love from home.  Not only does it make us happy for the week, but it reminds us that there are people at home who love and care about us.  Now, I know that not all of us have the time to go around making care packages, but students realize this, which makes a care-package all that more special.  Stuffed with necessities and goodies, this surprise that can easily be provided by parents is something that people like me dream about, and look forward to with anticipation.

  Unfortunately, I have never received one from my parents.  Nor my relatives (except Julie, who sent me a card once).  Not only is this horribly disappointing for me, it makes me feel like no one at home cares enough about me to take the time to collect a few trinkets and snacks to surprise me with.  And this fact makes me sad.

  Yet there is hope in this - I still have more than 2 years of college left.  So, repent of your sins and get those packages in the mail!!!

1 comments:

Sandy Olson said...

How dare you state you have never received a care package from home! What a liar!!! Not only have i sent several, i have put very nice goodies in each one along with money!!! what an ingrate - no more care packages for you...mom