BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Italy Post #22

Dear Readers,
I have exciting news!!! I've started a Christmas choir! Yes, I know, its so daring of me to take on this risky enterprise, but I'm willing to sacrifice countless hours of shuffling sheet music, the comfort of my comforter to sit instead in the cold by the piano plunking out notes, and maybe even my voice for this group of people who have pledged the same things to me. Its actually been one of the best experiences here so far, dear readers. I find myself singing Christmas songs to see if they would fit into the program, dreaming about the organization of the songs, spending extra time in the chapel to go over melodies and harmonies. Plus I feel like the choir is giving me the sense of community that I have been missing here for so long; so many people are excited about it, and while I don't have 100% participation, the people involved are 100% dedicated to making the choir as good as possible! Its just a good feeling to be surrounded by friends who love the same things you do, and respect you for the effort you're putting in.

I know I talked a lot about fall in my last post, and I still miss it, but I'm also starting to see the beauty of fall here. Its colder for sure, which is not a requirement to an amazing fall, but I'm starting to find a joy in the routine here. I think this feeling might come from this past weekend when my friend Kelsey came and visited. She's on Europe semester and came down here for the 4-day, so we got to have some good quality time together. I think I was getting mired in my loneliness here, which is weird because I'm not alone. Actually, I'm never alone! But I have felt isolated in the community for a while; she reminded me of the touchiness of social dynamics, the way things can take a while to click.

And that was what I needed. For, dear readers, things HAVE started to click and its great! I still don't feel like this is as comfortable as home, but there is a sense in which I have become more of a part of the group. And I think one of the best answers to this mystery is singing!

0 comments: