BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Italy Post #24

Dear Readers,
I have an obsession here. And no, its not gelato (although that comes in a close second....) Its mail. Receiving mail, sending mail, decorating my letters, picking up bits of Italian paper and writing letters on them. And readers, I haven't gotten anything in the mail for a WEEK! While this seems like a travesty to the rest of my.....monastery-mates (?).....since I seem to get the most mail out of anyone. And I know that I do get a lot of mail; but here's the thing - I love writing, its a way for me to express myself through words. But writing also allows me to reassess myself, to take a good look about how I really feel. Sometimes I discover myself in writing. And I think the fact that I've been cooped up for almost a whole week with nothing but my bed as company hasn't helped this desire for some distant communication.

But readers! I have exciting news as well!!! I went outside today! For the past week, I've been living as a cloistered nun, with only the window as a connection to the outside world since there was no mail for me! Yes, the air was even sweeter outside than I had remembered. And the gelato tasted delicious! Italians really like to celebrate the seasons and come out with tons of seasonal treats to try to help you pass the cold of winter. Vendors roast chestnuts in the streets. The supermarkets are stacked from floor to ceiling with seasonal cakes (which are delicious, they taste like light sugary butter). Orvieto is strung with Christmas lights all over the place, between the alleys and buildings. Even the gelato has new flavors - my favorite so far: marron glaces (chestnut). Its a very festive town, even though there is no Christmas music yet, although that should be remedied with the choir! yay! I love Christmas! And walking outside!!! Double bonus!!!!!!

3 comments:

BCC Odyssey said...

Did I hear chestnut gelato???? sugary buttery cakes?????...festive lights?????......sounds like paradise to me! Wish I were there to enjoy it all with you. Guess I will have to settle for your splendid descriptions!

xo KIKI

P.S. Every time you hear the Xmas tune "Chestnuts roasting on an open flame......" guess where you will remember!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so glad you are feeling well enough to leave your room. I am thinking of you schmoopie. ttyl

Finestra said...

Gaaawhat? You got mail EVERY week?? REALLY? Your friends must love you. I got mail a total of three times, and one of those times was my mom sending me textbooks I found all too late I didn't really need...

Lucky....