BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Italy Post #26

Dear Readers,
I've been avoiding you. Not because you smell, or make bad comments or anything like that. No, readers, something much worse than that has caused me to evade and stutter and close the computer before writing you.

I'm going home early.

Next week, to be particular. And I'm sure you can guess the reason why: I'm still not feeling great. The nerve pain has been reduced to a dull ache; whether that's the medicine or the disease dying down is anyone's guess. But I'm still afraid of doing more damage to my nerves. Italian doctors are an option, but not an option at the same time. Yes I could find a doctor, but the problems that come along with finding the right doctor, namely a neurologist, then getting over the language barrier, then being re-diagnosed and getting an Italian prescription. Basically, its not worth it. Then I always have the option of staying and risking more damage. But that's not worth it, not in my mind. I'm not great at listening to my body, but I know when too much is too much. And the risk of staying outweighs the benefits of a chilly month in Italy taking a class I don't really need.

And readers, I'm sad to leave. But, at the same time, I feel like I got a good dose of Italy: 3 months. I know the language now, at least enough to get around. I can walk safely on cobblestones. I know the best cappuccino in town. And that's all I really wanted. I get the Italian credit out of it I needed. And I get a nice long break in which to see doctors, rest, and re-orient myself to American life. And maybe lose a few pasta-pounds. Plus, EVERONE is in the choir now!!! We're having our performance next week, which is going to be awesome!

But the thing that reassures me is that I'm at peace about the decision. And that's really all that matters.

So if you live in Oakdale, give me a call; I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to hang out. Maybe write me a letter. Lets keep in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you schmoopie!! You can visit me and keep me company. =)

Finestra said...

Blah! How sucky...

But HEY! California! How exciting! You'll be there before I will (I'm currently in Germany, and it's raining...)

Say good-bye to Italy for me!