BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Delicacy of Healing


Dear Readers,
My mom is a huge proponent of miraculous healing. At least once a week while I'm having symptoms (which I have been for the past month) she sends me some kind of link or offer to go and "get healed". Usually these things are at revivals involving hundreds of charismatics who get taken by the spirit and do who knows what. I'm not quite a skeptic, but I'm definitely bordering the boundary. This isn't helped by my mom's insistence on the subject; sometimes I just want to be left alone with my disease. I feel like a healing should come from someone I know and trust, not as one of the hundreds who have come blindly with a hope of getting a fresh set of eyes, or a healed back.

I know that I don't put lots of stake in dreams, but sometimes they actually speak to me. In this dream I was back at Westmont for the summer; I wasn't in school, but they were having some kind of event that I was invited to on Kerwood lawn. My dad showed up in his workout clothes to embarrass me (this isn't TOO far off either). But, I think the most important part of the dream was me: in the middle of it, I looked down and noticed that there was a small hole in the middle of my chest with a delicate sprout growing out of it. It was kinda pretty, but I had this urge to pull it out at the same time. I asked my dad about it, and he said it was a disease I had to get rid of, but I had to be careful about how I took it out because I needed to remove the whole thing.

I often feel like my MS is a lot like this little plant. It gets worse and worse inside of me, yet I need to remove it delicately; I can't have someone else rip it from me. The fear of getting more symptoms will always be with me, but I can't just let someone I don't know lay hands on me and take this disease from me. It's my cross to bear until the Lord gives me someone to remove it from me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, this was a little hard to read because it's so honest, but that's what makes it so important, and so good. Well written, especially because it makes your readers face your disease with the same openness and courage you do.
Basically, I love you <3

Finestra said...

Ah, friend. I want to know you better. I feel like I've missed out on so much these past three years and I am sad that we will only have one semester in which to catch up and such.

My heart aches for you. I wish I could offer something to encourage you. Unfortunately, I have nothing but that God is faithful.

I am skeptic of charismatics myself. One told my grandmother, who suffered with many illnesses herself, that she was not healed because she did not have enough faith. She went through her life believing this; that she did not have enough faith. That is no way to view God or healing.

Not encouraging, I know, but something to think about. God gives us trials because He knows that He can handle them and we have to trust He knows what He is doing and why. He loves you. Hang in there, dear one.

Sandy Olson said...

what mother would not want to see her beautiful daughter healed of a horrific disease? And you are right when you say healing should come from someone you know and trust...his name is Jesus Christ...you say it is your cross to bear until the Lord gives you someone to remove it yet you do not trust God's vessels to do so...not that you should let just anyone lay hands on you...the picture with the plant and your dream of the plant Erika...look...
http://www.dunamisarc.org/index.php it is the same little plant on Dunamis which means power...the guy from Las Vegas!! whoa...he is truly one of God's vessels for those wanting to be healed!