BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Sweetness of Friendship

Hello Readers,

  I baked the most delicious chocolate chip cookies this past Sunday.  Rich, soft, buttery little treats, they were filled with not only chocolate chips but also butterscotch ones.  Taking a huge bag back to college with me, I planned to ration them out, hiding half of them for myself while letting only a few choice friends share in the joy with me.  My sentiments quickly changed however, when the word got out that I had some in my room.  The amount in the bag quickly dropped, and many people expressed their thanks and praise.
  
  Throughout this process, I realized something; although the cookies would have given me a temporary joy that only chocolate can give, this would have quickly died into feelings of regret.  By giving the cookies away, I was able not only to lift other's people's spirits, but also my own.  There is something irresistibly pleasing about seeing someone else enjoy a treat that you have given them.  I ended up not only letting everyone take my cookies, but even went around with the bag, giving them to random people to lift up their day.  Now, with a bag full of crumbs, I feel satisfied in the fact that everyone that matters to me here at Westmont got a homemade cookie, baked with love and given with joy.

1 comments:

Sandy Olson said...

Seems to me you are learning that it is truly better to give than to receive..the added benefit is by being generous you also avoid all those calories!! Good for you Erika! mom