BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Church's One Foundation

Dear Readers,
I've been thinking more and more lately. As funny as that may sound, it does seems strange to me at the same time. I've always considered myself more of the daydreamer type, the kind of person who has a whole made-up interior space that is full of dreams and visions, flowers and kittens and butterflies. But not so much the actual, full-sentence thoughts.

That is, until recently.

There have been some heavy things on my mind. I've been thinking a lot about people, especially about leadership. And I've been thinking a lot about my church. IVC (Isla Vista Church - jesuslovesiv.com/islavistachurch.com) has just rounded its 10-year mark. And most of those 10 years were spent developing the church then surviving in the harsh, low-funded, always changing college town environment.

But things have changed. Seeds that were planted so long ago in the past are finally coming not only into full-fledged plants, but also into full bloom. We're going to be reaping a harvest soon. So much fruit is coming, I can just reach out my hand and hold it - it's that tangible.

The question remains - are we ready? Are we ready for the harvest that is coming: are we structured enough to deal with a flood, is our foundation firm, are our teachings solid? Right now we are laying the groundwork. It makes me want to run to Bethel so badly - to slip into a church that has everything established, buildings built, foundation firm. Sometimes I feel like IVC is a construction zone - everything is in the process of being put into place.

I guess that's the beauty of the harvest though. Sometimes we are meant in life to reap harvests that we didn't plant. But how much more rewarding it is to reap the fruit that you have planted. And in many ways, I wasn't the one planting these seeds - there are few of those laborers still at the church. But I have labored this past year with my fellow workers, and I'm ready to lay this foundation and clear out the construction equipment. Then we can get onto the most fun part - building the buildings.

0 comments: