BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Moving On

Dear Readers,
I just finished a sonnet! Woo hoo! I met with Dr. Willis, my creative writing prof, about my other sonnet (Comments to a red rose) and he gave me the option of writing another one since that one wasn't strict iambic pentameter. Well, I don't think this sonnet is strict either, but I kinda like how it turned out so I'm going to keep it in my portfolio (which is due next week, btw!) Readers, confession time: I usually write from actual experience, but this sonnet is totally made up! hahaha! Its about breaking up with someone, which I haven't ever done - but if I did ever break up with someone, hopefully I wouldn't do it like this. Anyway, tell me what you think, I always enjoy all of your comments. They are so encouraging.

Moving On

It once was with this old blue coat, stuffed in
my closet now, you covered the cold thoughts
that spread beneath my trembling lips like thin
cracks in summer ice. Pictures, like ink blots
on white napkins, stain my house with your face -
they’re packed in boxes now - shadows without
a meaning, yet the past I can’t erase.
Was it just yesterday you called about
the coffee stain I left on your brown couch
the night we learned your grandma died? I held
your hand, even though all you did was slouch
back in the seat. And there among the swelled
remains of once a love and now a lost
desire, I found I hadn’t paid the cost.

0 comments: