BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lunchtime

Dear Readers,
So sorry for my long absence! It has just been a crazy semester so far, so much so that I'm still trying to prune my schedule of anything excess. For example, I dropped chamber singers this week because it was much more stress than it was worth. But readers, I've been writing poetry! Although this is a requirement for my creative writing class, I can feel myself getting better and better at poetry - its fantastic! Sometimes I read my old poems and laugh at how much image I crammed into those lines, while now I look for the one image that will be convey my experience exactly. So readers, without further ado, I give you my latest poem; I'm not saying its perfect, but I feel pretty proud of this one. Let me know what you think!

Lunchtime, February 16, 2010

Today the black tar asphalt sizzles
beneath our tires.
I can’t breath; the air lies down upon us
like an old man slumped in his rocker,
but here I am, stuffed in this blue sedan, surrounded
by Snickers wrappers.

How can Allison and Kat not care
that my stomach feels
like an empty plastic bag?

If only I could reach up,
pluck the sun
from the egg-blue sky - peel back
the rich skin and squeeze the juice,
let it burst
from the packets of flavor wrapped
inside to leave tears of sticky sweetness
down my salty face.

2 comments:

Bailey said...

I think this is really good!

Sandy Olson said...

oh man...i am going to the store right now and buy me an orange!