BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Comments to a

Dear Readers,
I'd almost lost hope in my love for poetry, that is before I wrote this poem! Its just that my semester is absolutely crazy!!! I have no time for fun things like writing poems - I'm always reading for my religious studies courses, both of which are GEs which makes them annoying rather than fun. But readers, even though I don't even have time to be writing this, I wanted to share this small sonnet I just completed for tomorrow's creative writing class. I'm not a big fan of sonnets, so I didn't really have a purpose when I started writing this. But I think it turned out pretty well, so let me know what you all think!

Comments to a red rose

Once in these petals, soft as night, that blur
into my rusted gate, bees took their fill
of sweet white wine. The golden nectar
that drizzled down their legs fell on your frills,
your sweet red dress then stained with amber jewels.
I watched awhile on those blue steps before
the door leaned into me, the handle cool
upon my fingers. Winter comes in poor
disguise - your petals blackened in dismay,
pooling around the earthen pot set out
to catch the final boat of the sun’s rays.
And now, the stiff air that runs throughout
the rooms meets my lungs, tightens the gap
between our worlds - my present to unwrap.

3 comments:

Arijaan said...

Oh - goodness, it's lovely! It really involved my senses, very rich and powerful. Beautiful! Thanks for making the time to write it girlie!

Caitlin said...

I love it, and totally agree with arijaan.

Sandy Olson said...

beautiful sonnet...i love it too!