BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Italy Post #6

Dear Readers,
Its surprising how close I am to people already on this trip. Yes, there are people who came with good friends, and yes they do seem exclusive at times. Yet there is this sense of togetherness that our group has already embraced, a sense that we are all in the same situation. I feel comfortable talking with every person on this trip. Even though I gravitate to particular personalities, there is no one particularly intimidating.

We had our first chunk of free time today. There are so many things I want to do in this town that it was hard to decide on one, but I concluded that a relaxing walk to the park would fit the mood of the day the best. As I was walking out of the monastery, I came across a friend who was also going out; we decided to go to the park together. We talked for a couple hours; I couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. The park was on the edge of the cliff (which really isn't very far anywhere you go here) and we sat on a bench overlooking the surrounding valleys and talked, talked about ourselves, our beliefs, our struggles, our hopes for the coming semester. I don't often feel recharged by people I don't know well, yet this long conversation gave me such an excitement about my time here in Italy. These people are my companions and my friends for the next 4 months. I think I'm starting off pretty well. :0)

Rome update: It was amazing and exciting and tiring and beautiful. The whole city is a collage between the ancient and the modern. Basically, it stunned me with its simplicity and its energy.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

yay! I'm so happy for you!!

Global Expeditions said...

So good to hear from you Erika! I'm so glad that you've found friends on the trip, and it already sounds like you're learning a lot. Kelly and I miss you! -Laura D.

watermoccasin said...

I'm glad you have people there that you can talk to. Did you get my letter? I don't if one stamp was enough.