BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 18, 2009

Italy Post #10

Dear Readers,
I'm supposed to be in Florence right now. Probably sitting by myself in some cafe somewhere a few steps from the river Arno, sipping on a sugary cappuccino and sketching in my moleskin.

But I'm not. I'm in Orvieto. As always.

It was the great debate last night as to whether I would go or not. I've been feeling under the weather (and apparently the elements have decided to make that a reality - its been raining for the past 3 days). Not sick; no stuffy nose, no sore throat, not even a small cough or two. My MS has been acting up, making my feel numb and my legs heavy, and that's something I can't cure with a couple of ibuprofens and a hot glass of tea. Unfortunately.

So this morning I woke up after 6 hours of sleep, ate breakfast, packed my bags with every intention of getting on the train with everyone else; I almost made it too, if only Christine (our wonderful RA) hadn't caught me taking the elevator down instead of walking the steps. She questioned me as to why, and when I explained that I didn't feel safe because my feet are numb and I have balance issues, she expressed her concerns with me walking in Florence. I have to admit though, I completely agree with her. MS is always a guessing game - how much should I do, how far can I walk, will this hurt me in the long run? I don't want to miss out on the rushing waters of the Arno (and the Orsanmichele, monastery San Marco, the David, Boboli Gardens, etc.....you get the picture) but I also don't want to end up hurting myself more. Its such a delicate balance that I'm still trying to figure out.

But, as to not add to the seeming dire-ness of this situation, I AM in Orvieto, sitting here at a cafe in the twilight, sipping on my creamy cappuccino while sketching the cobblestone streets and the ancient buildings that surround me. Its wonderful! I could stay in this town forever, but I always think I would feel like a tourist. The people know each other here better than any community I've ever seen. Even the few Italian friends that I've made here (the nuns, Alessandro - our Italian teacher) I can find out and about, always ready to stop for a kiss hello and a few Italian pleasantries. It's so intimate.

(LEXY ALARI: Don't read this!!! I wrote you a letter all about it!) Finally, before my internet time runs out, Story of the Week: last night I decided to take the scenic route back from dinner, which takes a loop up the corso (main street) and around to the duomo, then turns back toward the Monastery San Paolo. I was sitting, staring at the duomo as usual, when the front doors, which must be around 30 ft. tall, opened! I couldn't believe it! So, being the curious pumpkin that I am, I walked inside. Turns out there was a free concert that night that I'd stumbled on to. It wasn't very good, but I was just so excited to participate in something unusual for me, but completely usual for the people of Orvieto. I guess it was the kind of great community-building experience that I was in need of, to remind me of the differences between here and home. And make me grateful for being here, even if I'm not in Florence.

1 comments:

watermoccasin said...

I got your letter! It made my day. I skipped away from the mailbox lol. I'm sorry you didn't get to go to Florence! That must have been really hard to stay behind. Isn't that were the doors of Ghiberti are? And the Arno from O mio babbino caro! I'm sure this isn't helping, sorry. You're a brave little toaster. Love you! Ti benedica il Signore e ti protegga, il Signore rivolga su di te il suo volto e ti conceda pace.